Week 6 Highlights

Just for Parents: 

• If you are a baggie book helper, I am automatically signing you up every week for a volunteer slot. If you are providing additional help, then please sign yourself up since these slots change every week. I have also included a slot for take-home helper, where I would send home papers to cut out or sort or prep at night and you would sent it back the next morning. The link to the schedule can be found here: Volunteer Schedule. Thank you!
  • Culver’s Night is tomorrow, October 7th! The event runs from 5-8pm, and I will be there serving from 5-6pm. I look forward to seeing you there!

Celebrations: 

• Quote of the Week – The quote that we focused on and tried to live out this week was, “If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.” This week’s quote went to COLTON who is always trying to be a great friend to others, especially when they are hurting! 
  • First Grade Family Time – The cafeteria was not available for Family Time on Friday, so we held a special ceremony in our classroom this week to celebrate awards for lost teeth, shoe-tying, and birthdays from the week. Here are our “award-winning” first graders from this week’s family time.
  • Star Prize – Our class earned 16 stars this week and had SO much fun with our stuffed animals to celebrate on Friday!

Our Learning: 

• Writing – This week we learned how to look at the writing of other authors and try to use their strategies in our own work! Students did a great job adding ellipses, exact actions, and POP-OUT WORDS into their stories!                  
  • Word Study – This week we learned how to make a word a snap word! These are words that we can write or read without thinking too much about them. We wrote a letter to Mrs. Reagan to practice using some of these words!
  • Reading – This week we focused on partner reading and how we can cheer on our partners, introduce our books to them, and help them practice great reading habits!
  • Math – We are continuing to learn new strategies for addition, such as drawing a picture and counting on. Students did great on their first math quiz of the unit!  

Upcoming Dates: 

• Monday, October 7 – Art, Culver’s Night!
  • Tuesday, October 8 – STEAM
  • Wednesday, October 9 – Music
  • Thursday, October 10 – PE
  • Friday, October 11 – Library, Art